Sunday, November 20, 2011

My First Post! Aloha!

I'll make this short and sweet.  What is this blog about?

A few years ago, I decided that I wanted some Swedish Flower Hens, or "Blommehons" as they are called over there.  Only problem was, this rare breed was NOT in the United States.  To import them would have cost thousands of dollars.  What to do?  Create my own, of course!

I wasn't having much luck, until I found the strangest little hen in my neighbor's flock next door.   Her feathers were in a unique color that I now call "Confetti".  Her bloodlines helped create lots of unique colors in my flock.  Finding her was the key to the program today.  I have no idea what her background was, or where she came from origially.

She was tiny in size, but BIG in color!



To see the detailed story of the last few years, check out my old website.  I've run out of room there, hence this blog.  But the web site tells the whole tale:

http://alohachickens.webs.com/

Now the Swedish Flower Hen has been imported to the United States, thanks to Greenfire Farms!  But, a funny thing happened on the way to copying an overseas breed . . . I've started to create something totally new. 

This is the tale of one gal in a suburban backyard creating her own breed, by luck and by feel, with just a basic understanding of genetics.  Follow along and see how it goes!

Below:  The strange little tiny hen that started it all . . . . Oddball!

No comments:

Post a Comment