Sunday, July 1, 2012

This is an Aloha Chicken.

This spring, I gave my new neighbor a batch of young Alohas.  I included what looked to be a few "Confetti" colored roosters.  Not because they failed to look promising!  It's just that with the Confetti color, you should not cross two Confetti's together, or the Barring will become dominant.  So you can have a Confetti rooster, OR Confetti hens.  Otherwise the gene will "take over" and soon your flock will be ONLY this color and nothing else!  Since I love all the colors, including my orange mottled Ginger girls and all the other fun Aloha shades, this is not acceptable.  I certainly wasn't giving up my adorable Confetti colored hens!  So, I gave my neighbor the baby Confetti roos.  (I did not get any Confetti hens from this batch.)

Well, look what grew up out of this batch.  I suspect, judging from size and type, that Cheeto was the dad.  I guess not ALL of his sons will lose their color?  Look at this guy now:

NOT a Swedish Flower Rooster - It's an Aloha!
He has good size. A deep body.  Bright yellow legs.  Sizable single comb.  Unique color not seen in any other standard size, dual-purpose breed.  His tail does need improvement, it could be much longer.  But that is his only fault.  I can officially say that this is an actual Aloha chicken!  YAY!

Aloha rooster - contains Buff Rock and NHR + Origianal Aloha Stock.

Now this fellow has to survive the AZ summer temps, and my neighbor's stock has started to wander into his front yard!  While he takes wonderful care of his chickens, he can't protect them if they leave his fenced yard.  This guy is literally one roaming dog attack away from being history.  If he can make it just a few more months, I have a pure-bred Swedish Flower Hen that I'd love to hook him up with:

Pure Swedish Flower hen

Speaking of long or short tails, check out this young rooster, who is obviously of strong Sussex lines.  Both Sussex and the original Aloha stock (which carries a bit of Exchequer Leghorn) have extremely long tails, and this little fellow got a double-dose of flamboyant tail genes!  Wonderful!  Check it out:

What a tail on this youngster!  Wow!
He also has copious amounts of big, bright spots on his chest.  And, while his color is brown, it's not nearly as dark as a pure Sussex.  His faults:  Too small.  Pink legs.  So he needs to be bred to very large hens with yellow legs.  Luckily, I have two new pure Buff Rock pullets the same age as him.  These new Buff Rock gals are sweet and friendly.  Buff Rocks have HUGE size, but short stubby tails.  I'm hoping he will give those hens the genes for bright mottling, and help improve the tail length.  The babies would not show any spots, but would carry them.


No comments:

Post a Comment